Saturday, November 19, 2011

My Version of the Fabric Covered Jewelry Hanger

My neighbor saw a jewelry holder I had pinned on pinterest, and wanted to know if I could make a couple to match her daughter's room.  The photo was from etsy (see here)... and didn't exactly include a tutorial.  I assumed the fabric had been wrapped around boards, but on a visit to Micheals I saw a package of cute chunky canvases.  They were the perfect size, and the perfect price after using a 40% off coupon!



For this project you only need a couple items, pictured below.  A drill, a staple gun, hooks, ruler and pencil.

First, mark with a pencil where you want your hooks to be.  I measured this out with the ruler.  You can also put hooks on the sides or front of the jewelry holder, I decided to stick with the original picture since I was making it for a friend, but I think hooks on the front and sides would be cute too!  Drill your holes.



Next decide what portion of the fabric you want to show on the front, make sure you leave enough to wrap around the sides... and then cut your fabric.



Next comes the staple gun part!  The most important thing is to stretch the fabric TIGHT as you staple. Start on the middle of one side, then stretch and staple directly accross from it.  Work your way out to the edge, pulling the fabric tight between each staple.  Make the corners look pretty from the front and sides, then pull them around and staple on the back.



Next screw in your hooks!  I used a straight pin to poke through the fabric to find the holes.





I should probably ask my neighbor for a picture of them hanging in the room!  Such a simple project.
I also attached a sawtooth hanger on the back of each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment