Monday, September 12, 2011

What do you have hanging in your tree???

If you've been to my house in the last few months, surely you've questioned the dangling CD's in my pomegranate tree.  Some have been so brave as to inquire about the odd trinket display, but most have probably just silently wondered about my taste and/or tolerance for such oddities.  After all, if you didn't ask me WHY I had a tree decorated with CD's... one might naturally assume that I thought it was a pretty and sparkly addition to the backyard.  Perhaps a product of some child's creativity?  Or, that I've taken recycling too far?  I can only guess what has gone through peoples minds, but I know I haven't explained the monstrosity to every visitor.  Truth is, I hardly notice the sparkling circles at this point.



You see, every year we hope for some edible pomegranates to be produced off that tree.  Every year, more red round fruits are produced, and every year each one is destroyed with a hole created by birds.  Lots of birds with strong beaks who are beckoned to my backyard by my neighbors tempting display of various bird feeders.  There they sit, side by side... a smorgasbord of bird seed possibilities, and my pomegranate tree loaded with tempting red globes filled with deliciousness.



Can you blame me for attempting to scare the birds off with laser beam prism light flashes?  When I read the harmless and chemical free anecdote online, I hoped it would be the answer to our pomegranate dreams... and a tree full of pomegranates would be well worth the humiliation of what others might think of my decorative choices.  I am sad to report that my not yet ripe pomegranates are beginning to get holes in them.  Oh the agony of defeat.



Does anyone have any other ideas?  Help!  I'm desperate!  Also, I just wanted to say I really do love the birds that the bird feeders bring, I just want to eat pomegranates and enjoy the birds too.  Is that too much to ask?  In the couple short minutes that it took me to snap these pictures, I saw three hummingbirds!  Three!  How can I possibly complain about hummingbirds and songbirds dancing and singing in my backyard? 

Also, while examining my newly uploaded pomegranate photos, a certain little something caught my eye in my neighbor's backyard... heres a magnified view, look closely:





I guess my CD's aren't the only white trash decor in the neighborhood!  Hahahahaaaa!  Cactus in a TOILET?  Wow.  Just Wow.

1 comment:

  1. Lovn' the blog! That cactus toilet is hilarious .. watch where you sit..lol. Hopefully you can find a way to discourage the birds! I've added you to my google reader and hope for more posts :)

    ReplyDelete